BlondelCoatArmsGuernseyFiefFlad EagleCrossCrownBlondelSmallHammer  Branden  Normandy OldGuernseyFlag CoinGuernsey


 Places of Worship in the Fief Blondel



The Fief of Thomas Blondel in the parishes of Torteval and St. Peter in the Wood is an authentic Norman title. The Seignuers (Free Lords) of Blondel existed before formal Baron titles were created.  Fief Blondel is part of the former large Fief of Canelly, once held by William de Chesney (1284) and before him by the Le Canellys until the separation of Guernsey from Normandy in 1204. Fief Blondel is on the South West portion of Guernsey.

 This is  St. Peter's Anglican Church in the Fief with the Ancient Graveyard.  The steps of this Church is where the Seigneur or Lord conducted his Feudal Court for hundreds of years. This church's other official name is St Pierre du Bois. This Church is the Honorific Caput of the Seigneur and Barronie of the Freeholder Feudel Fief of Blondel.


This is Torteval Church -


St. Saviour Church URC


Year 1054 in Torteval - Part of Canelly and Blondel lands bounded  on  the  west  by  the  property  of  Guillaume Blondel and  on  the  east  by  that  of  Thomas  Dumaresq. AKA Thomas Blondel

From  the  Cartulary  of  Mont-Saint-Michel  we  learn  that in  the  year  1054,  William  Pichenoht,  moved  by  compunction for  the  many  and  great  sins  he  had  committed,  and  desirous  of  taking  the  monastic  habit  in  that  renowned  monastery, gave,  with  the  consent  of  Duke  William  of  Normandy,  his lands  of  la  Perrelle  with  all  their  appurtenances  to  the  Abbey. These  lands  were,  no  doubt,  leased  out  afterwards  by  the Monks  to  various  individuals  on  the  terms  usual  in  those early  days,  the  Abbey  retaining  the  Seigneurie  or  Lordship
over  the  whole.

St.  Apolline's  Chapel

In  October  1392,  a  certain  Nicholas  Henry,  of  la  Perrelle, obtained  the  consent  of  the  Abbot  and  Monks  of  Mont-St.- Michel,   as    Lords   of   the    Manor,    to   the    endowment  of   a Chapel  which  he  had  lately  erected  on  his  estate,  subject,  however,  to  the  sanction  of  the  Sovereign  as  Lord  Paramount.

Nicholas  Henry  applied  to  the  Crown  for  the necessary  permission,  which  was  granted  by  King  Richard  II. n  July  1394.

The  Charter,  which  is  preserved  among  the Records  of  the  Island  at  the  Greffe,  authorizes  Nicholas Henry  to  endow  the  Chapel  of  Salute  Marie  de  la  Perrelle
for  the  purpose  of  maintaining  a  chaplain  who  was  to  celebrate a  daily  mass  for  ever,  for  the  safety  of  the  said  Nicholas Henry,  and  his  wife  Philippa,  for  their  souls  after  they  should  have  departed  this  life,  and  for  the  souls  of  all  their  ancestors, benefactors  and  Christian  people  generally.  The  Charter given  by  the  Abbey  exempts  three  vcrgees  of  land,  attached  by  the  founder  to  the  Chapel,  from  payment  of  all  dues  on the  condition  of  his  charging  the  whole  of  his  property  with an  annual  rent  for  ever  of  one  bushel  of  wheat.

The  Royal  Charter  describes  the  endowment  as  consisting  of  land  of  the value  of  twenty  sols  annually.  Besides  the  three  vergees  of land,  which  it  is  not  un-interesting  to  note  are  described  as being  bounded  on  the  west  by  the  property  of  Guillaume Blondel and  on  the  east  by  that  of  Thomas  Dumaresq,  both of  which  families  are  still  land  owners  in  the  district,  Nicholas Henry  also  gave  to  the  Chapel  an  annual  wheat-rent  of  Four Quarters  due  on  a  piece  of  ground  adjoining.

This Chapel is of the Old Fief Blondel territory.


Church Guernsey Map